Knowing what to do if you’re in an accident is a challenge, even if you’ve been in one before. Your mind is racing, you’re probably worrying about your passengers, and you might even be injured. At Purifoy Chevrolet, we want to help you stay safe if you’re in an accident. Here is a quick list of steps to take in the event of an emergency behind the wheel:
- Check yourself for injuries and take a deep breath. Don’t hesitate to call an ambulance immediately if you are experiencing any pain, or ask someone to call for you.
- If you can move your vehicle, move it to a safe place away from traffic. Turn on your hazards, put it in park, and turn off the car. If you have them, place traffic cones or flares around the vehicle.
- Call the police to the scene, even if no one is hurt, to file a report. Get their badge numbers and names when they arrive.
- Gather information from everyone who was involved in the accident, especially any other drivers. This information includes names, contact info, license plate numbers, make and model descriptions, and insurance information. If there were any eyewitnesses, get their names, contact information, and, if possible, their description of what occurred.
- Take pictures of everything.
- Do not admit fault. Leave it to officials to determine who was at fault.
If your vehicle has been damaged in a recent accident, visit our service department. Our technicians will work to repair the damage and get you back on the road quickly and safely.